Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: The worst Sting band ever...

  1. #1
    jonthibault
    Guest jonthibault's Avatar

    Post

    Anyone see the Sting video with Manu Katche from the last tour? It is easily the worst concert video I've ever seen. Sting looks like he's falling asleep, and Manu absolutely sucks. The whole band has no energy, the keyboardist is god-awful, and Chris Botti's constant riffing over the vocals becomes really annoying. I can't imagine how Sting could go from such a kick-ass group of musicians to this. Maybe he's paying them next to nothing and is saving lots of production costs.

    Watch Manu sweat his way through Seven Days. It ain't pretty.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member drumgod1's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2002
    Posts
    330
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I think this concert took place on the evening of Sept. 11th, 2001. I think everyone was a bit somber that day.

    Ciao,

    Mike

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Rhinodentist's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 13th, 2002
    Posts
    29
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    That concert did take place on Sept 11th, so I'm sure that we can allow some latitude to everybody concerned.

    However, there is a 'Brand New Day' tour video and dvd available from when Manu first got on that tour. T-Bo is right, how can that band have gone from burning to flat in the space of a few months. Manu sucks like a two dollar hooker with a lisp.

    It's mad coz, I've seen the same band from that Sept 11th gig, but with Abe Laboriel Jnr on drums and it's like night and day. I was really trying hard to imagine who could take over from Vinnie and Abe kicks that band up the arse!!!!

  4. #4
    jonthibault
    Guest jonthibault's Avatar

    Post

    Are you sure that was on Sept. 11? That seems strange to me, since most events were cancelled that day for obvious reasons. But if it was on Sept. 11, why on earth did they choose to make that show into a video, rather than just film a different one? Weird. In any case, it still sucks the big one. Worth seeing, though, just for the odd sensation of seeing how boring a professional band can be.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member DanielC's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 17th, 2002
    Posts
    45
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    This was the Brand New Day DVD that was filmed in Los Angeles. The Sept. 11th video was shot in Italy on Sept. 11th with Christian McBride on bass and Manu on drums. Manu plays better on the All This Time concert, but still struggles to make any of the songs interesting. I guess we're spoiled by Vinnie.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Kubla's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 3rd, 2002
    Posts
    38
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I went to one of the shows in LA from which the DVD was made. Manu's groove (and I use the term very loosely) was so laid back and lethargic it almost put me to sleep. The scary thing is that Sting played for at least 2 or 3 nights at the Universal Amphitheater, and those were the BEST takes they could come up with!!

  7. #7
    jonthibault
    Guest jonthibault's Avatar

    Post

    Well said. His pocket is so deep he simply plays all the songs too slow, robbing them of all their energy. He's a "one tempo drummer." And I could have gone the rest of my life without hearing Manu rap in French. How gay was that. Sting is so pretentious.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member PocketPlayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 20th, 2002
    Posts
    1,462
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    VH1 did a lengthy Sting weekend after 9-11 and they did indeed play on 9-11. This footage showed Sting with the band sitting at a table in Italy after seeing the horror unfold on TV, asking if they should indeed gig that night. They decided to go on with the show in efforts that terrorism would not defeat them, the spirit of music, etc. I did admire Sting's democratic approach to asking each band member their thoughts and feelings.
    Now to Manu...I enjoyed his earlier recording with Sting but saw him on the Tonight Show before Abe Jr. I was almost shocked at his mediocre sound and stale playing. He was simply playing time to a classic Sting tune. I wondered if anybody else felt this way. I mean, the guys playing with Sting. Then I saw him at the SuperBowl and felt the same thing-Manu with ball cap on backwards...
    I guess this prompts me to ask the question; Should a drummer keep the original recording as true as possible? Because of CD & radio exposure, we've heard these tunes so many times we expect to hear a certain feel or signature fill.
    As drummers, do you guys try to cop the recording in respect of the original performance? When does it come time to alter things according to "your" feel?
    When I used to play a lot of cover tunes; Journey, The Babys, Foreigner, 3 Dog Night, etc.; these were the hit songs so I knew most people heard them a zillion times- I tried to play the grooves the same and definitely nailed the signature fills, i.e., Smith's classic fill in
    Separate Ways. I knew most would not intellectualize whether I played it or not, but I knew there had to be at least 1 drummer who waited for that fill. I also hate when I see a drummer not play a signature fill or groove. I saw Michael Lee (good drummer) with Plant and Page play Kashmir- he did not play the subtle bass drum hits during the groove and it drove me nuts! I mean, he was playing with Plant & Page and the audience, especially a televised audience of millions have heard that tune a zillion times. How could he not nail it? I thought it was very lazy drumming, even though I realize probably 95% of those listening would not notice this little inconsistency. Yet, he had to know drummers would be listening. Is that simply individuality, ignorance or ???

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ September 05, 2002 06:20 AM: Message edited by: PocketPlayer ]</font>

  9. #9
    Inactive Member FuseU1's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 15th, 2002
    Posts
    3,631
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Consider'g this was at the time of 9-11, I absolutely, unequivocally give credence to that fact, numero-uno.
    No doubt [after hav'g said that], when Sting considers hiring new drummers, he oughta have them immediately play the tune "7 Days" at the audition. If they can't at least come close to VC's 'approach' to that tune, then they should hit the fikkin door. Now, I know "Vinnie's simply Vinnie" & you're not at all gonna easily replace him, & we are spoiled by what he brought to that band - but for the love of Elvis get a cat that can cut it. [I know Katche's a respected & sought-after session player, but he totally 'neanderathal-ized' this tune.] It'd be interest'g 2 c the approach some1 like Weckl or Novak would bring to that gig.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member milesaway's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 29th, 2002
    Posts
    25
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I wonder why Manu played so bad. I doesn't make any sense to me. I remember I was totally blown away when I heard him play a great polyrhythmic solo a couple of years ago. I truly admire Manu's playing, although I haven't heard all of his works. But in my opinion, Manu is a great drummer. For example, listen to the tune "Be still my beating heart" - That's some tasty drumming.
    And remember that also a professional can have a bad night. That would have been my explanation, I guess...

    And I don't think that Weckl would have played Sting's tunes a lot better. Probably you wouldn't been happy with his drumming either unless Sting stopped singing and gave Dave 5 minutes to solo on for each tune.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •